DM Arts & Sciences Championship
ATTENTION ALL ARTISANS! I hereby announce the upcoming Dragon’s Mist Arts and Sciences Championship to be held at Carnivale (March 24th at Schlegel Hall 485 S. Main St Banks, OR, 97106). You do not need to be a DM resident. FB link.
COMPETITION: Single entry, with documentation and oral presentation required. You will have a table space for your display. Your entry will be judged on period methods, materials, and understanding of period context. The entry should contribute to a better understanding of an aspect of period life or material culture. Research papers and consumables are welcome as well as the usual artistic object. Entry can not have previously won a competition, unless it has been sufficiently overhauled and rebuilt into a new entry. Note: The Bardic Championship will be held at the same event. Please enter your performances there.
JUDGING: Three experts in your field will confer and rate your entry using the Kingdom A&S judging forms. To be clear: Baronial entries are not expected to score perfectly. Many people who do well at local levels have bad experiences at Kingdom because they don’t know what to expect. I’d like to start a conversation with both the judges and entrants about what is the norm for local competitions… and let everyone know that winning a baronial competition with 3s (out of 5s) is perfectly fine.
PRIZES: The winner will receive a set of gold-plated or silver jewelry, made by the current DM A&S champion, as a prize. They will also choose one of the largesse donations to keep. As Drusa is entering, a box like these below will be one of your choices.
All competitors will receive a participation prize, TBD.
A largesse item will also be granted to an entrant chosen by the Baron and Baroness.
REQUIRED FOR ENTRY:
- Notification (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your intent, with the title of your entry and your full SCA name, by 3/1/18.
- Submission of a letter of intent to Their Excellencies in court on the day of the Championship. This can be elaborate, in the style of your persona, or simple.
- Oral presentation to judges (and members of the populace who chose to observe) of up to 20 minutes, followed by a short Q&A period for judges. Total time 30 min.
- A largesse donation of a period object (or useful period materials), preferably made by the entrant. Although it can be the competition object, that’s not expected. It will be presented and considered with your judged entry.
- Willingness to be the Champion of the Barony of Dragons Mist. You gain the honor of wearing the Champion’s cloak, and carry the Champion’s regalia. Additionally, you earn a place of pride whenever the Baronial court is in session. You will organize next year’s competition, with the aid of the event steward and A&S Minister.
I am throwing down the gauntlet: BRING YOUR BEST! This is a chance to push yourself and create something you’ll be proud of for years. Start planning now!
Domina Tullia Saturnina, JdL, GdS
Dragon’s Mist A&S Champion